The new Rocklin Library at 4890 Granite Drive will celebrate its second birthday in January. However, library services in Rocklin have existed for more than 100 years.
The Rocklin Friends of the Library wanted to do something to celebrate the 100 years of library service in Rocklin, so they donated money to the library to purchase “100 Books for 100 years.” The money donated actually stretched further and purchased more than 200 books. Visitors will notice many titles that are on the best-sellers list. These new books are on the first floor in the “express books.”
For those who are new to Rocklin or even for those who have lived in Rocklin for most of their lives, here’s a little history.
The first library was a small lending library started by the Women’s Improvement Club and was located on Second Street. The house still stands today. The community library continued at several locations until Placer County started the Rocklin branch in January 1943. The library occupied the lower floor of the old City Hall building from 1943-1965. In May 1965, the library moved across the street to a former church building at 3935 Rocklin Road, where it remained until 1985. Through the combined efforts of the Friends of the Rocklin Library, the city of Rocklin and Placer County, and with federal funding through the California State Library, a new branch was built and dedicated on April 28, 1985. It was at 5460 Fifth St. After many years of fundraising and dedication by the Rocklin Friends, the new two-story library opened Jan. 10, 2011.
The next time you visit the library take a few minutes and browse the new titles and try to envision how much library services have changed throughout the years.