comments

Occupants rescued from balcony Friday during Rocklin apartment fire

By: Brody Fernandez Of Gold Country
-A +A

Early Friday morning on Nov. 23, a fire in front of a Rocklin apartment doorway trapped two occupants from escaping. According to Rocklin Fire Department officials, the two occupants were safely rescued from their balcony.  

“At approximately 10:30 a.m.  Friday morning (Nov. 23), we received a call about a structure fire at the Meridian at Stanford Ranch Apartments on 2121 Sunset Blvd. in Rocklin,” said Rocklin Fire Department Battalion Chief Martin Holm. “The cause was a matter of improperly-discarded ashes and debris from a fireplace combusting. The discards were placed directly outside the door as trash.”

According to Holm, little to no fire damage occurred to the third-story apartment complex but the surrounding apartments below and adjacent suffered water damage.  

“It was mostly water damage that the building sustained,” Holm said. “The only fire damage was very minimal and located near the entryway and door right near the door. The sprinkler system did its job in regard to preventing severe fire damage.”  

Holm explained how the apartment occupants made it out safely with no injuries.

“The occupants did not exit the apartment because the trash was discarded right outside the entry way door, preventing the occupants from exiting,” Holm said. “We performed a rescue on their third floor balcony successfully.”

The water damage from the building’s sprinkler system is currently displacing two to possibly three families and other adjacent apartments, according to Holm.

Holm described how residents can safely discard fireplace debris this winter.

“First and foremost, fireplace ash need to be put in an approved metal container that is not combustible,” Holm said. “Residents should also ensure all ashes and fireplace debris are cooled completely.”