Quarry Park operator cut loose
Rocklin’s Quarry Park Adventures, a 5.5- acre outdoor theme park funded by the city, has cut ties with its key operating partner, Family Legacy Entertainment.
The park opened last Sept. 15.
Michael Young, spokesperson for the city, said the decision was made to terminate the agreement between the city and the company Jan. 9.
A replacement has not yet been chosen and the park is currently closed for the winter. While there is no specific re-opening date, Young said it will re-open in the spring.
“Quarry Park Adventures is important to the city and to quality of life in Rocklin,” Young said. “We believe that a new operating structure is beneficial to the city both now and in the future.”
Young declined to provide details regarding the reason for the partnership’s dissolution between the city and Family Legacy Entertainment. Representatives from the company have not yet responded to requests for comment.
Rocklin City Council approved the park in January 2017 and it has been dogged by multiple delays, concerns over funding and changes to park offerings and amusement features.
Hundreds of season passes were sold before the opening, which was originally slated for Memorial Day on May 28, 2018. However, the holiday came and went with no grand opening - the park needed more money. Rocklin City Council voted to approve additional funding up to $900,000 roughly two weeks after the intended opening day. There was still significant work to be done within the park.
During the June 12 meeting, City Council and staff discussed whether temporary structures should be built in lieu of the originally-intended permanent buildings and structures. Specifically, then-Councilman Scott Yuill said staff was exploring building a temporary deck for outdoor eating instead of a permanent one and placing porta-potties in the park instead of brick-and-mortar bathrooms.
A month later on July 10, the park still not opened, City Council passed two more funding resolutions. Council approved a contract with a private contractor to build permanent restrooms in the park at a cost of $632,427. At this point, the park’s opening had been delayed for six weeks, and construction of the bathrooms were estimated to take between 60 and 90 days to complete. Council also approved another $150,000 at the July 10 meeting for miscellaneous expenses, such as food services, lockers and outdoor misters.
At the end of July,city spokesman Young told Gold Country Media that Quarry Park Adventures would begin limited operations of “park adventure elements” Labor Day weekend Sept. 1 through 3, “pending inspection and clearance by the California Division of Occupational Safety and Health [Cal-OSHA].”
In late August, neither permanent restrooms nor the planned permanent food service building was built. At the time, Young said that the initial planned opening will have temporary restrooms and food trucks. The park did not open Labor Day weekend. Mayor Ken Broadway said in the last week of August that the city was working with Cal-OSHA to meet safety requirements, a process that was taking longer than previously expected.
The park made its grand opening Sept. 15, more than 15 weeks late. The zip line amusement, a trio of zip lines totalling over 1,200 feet in length, was out of commission for the big day. Mayor Broadway said that the state was requiring further documentation from the city before the amusement could be opened.