Ask the DMV: Need your driving record? Find an office and come in

By: George Valverde, director of the California Department of Motor Vehicles
-A +A
Q: I need a printout of my driving record for a job application, can I get one online? A:The California Department of Motor Vehicles offers several online services and they are all part of an effort to save you time and money by avoiding a visit to a field office. However, we also place a high value on the security of your personal information — since printouts contain confidential information and we can not verify the identity of someone requesting them, we are not able to offer them printouts online. Please visit your nearest office for such a request, remember that appointments are highly recommended and available online at Q:My daughter moved and registered our car in another state. However, I recently received a renewal notice and notice of delinquent registration. How do I notify the DMV that the car is registered in another state? A:If you have left the state or your vehicle has been sent permanently out of California and received a renewal notice, simply write on the notice the vehicle is no longer in California, in what state it is now registered, provide the date that you moved out of state and mail it back to DMV. Your record will be updated with the new information when DMV receives the notice. This information is very important in determining if fees are due in California and to prevent future delinquent notices being sent to you. Go to for more. Q: I’ve had personalized plates in one of my cars (car No. 1) but now I want to reassign those plates to my other car (car No. 2). What do I do with the standard plates on car No. 2? Do those get reassigned to car No. 1 or do I need to order new standard plates? I plan to sell car No. 1, which is the reason I am doing this in the first place. A:Take the current registration cards for both vehicles and the standard plates from vehicle No. 2 into any DMV office. You will pay a reassignment fee to transfer the personalized plate from vehicle No. 1 to vehicle No. 2, but there is no charge for the issuance of new standard plates to vehicle No. 1. When your transaction is completed, you should receive a new registration card for vehicle No. 2 showing the personalized license plates and new stickers reflecting its expiration date, and a registration card and new standard plates for vehicle No. 1. I recommend you make an appointment for your visit. Appointments will save you time and money and are available by visiting the department’s website at, or calling (800) 777-0133. George Valverde is the director of the California Department of Motor Vehicles. Do you have questions about general driving related requirements like registration or insurance? Are you unclear about laws and restrictions related to driving? The California DMV has answers at And now, you can submit any DMV-related questions at