Wednesday Apr 25 2012
City Hall once a company store
By: Gary Day, Special to the Placer Herald
Rocks, Rails and Ranches
Editor’s Note: The building used as Rocklin’s city hall starting in the 1940s is the fourth stop on Rocklin’s History Tour (N 38° 47.386’, W 121° 14.045’). Copies of the complete tour can be obtained at the Rocklin History Museum at the corner of San Francisco Street and Rocklin Road. Adolph Pernu, owner of Rocklin’s early 20th century California Granite Company, built the granite building at 3980 Rocklin Road as a company store for his employees. The 1912 construction date is inscribed in a granite frontispiece over the front entrance. Pernu died in a quarry accident in Sequoia National Park in 1931. As Rocklin’s quarry businesses faltered during the Great Depression, Pernu’s creditors took possession of the building. Businessman Chung Moon, who moved to California from Hawaii in 1921, operated a market in the building from the late 1920s until the late 1930s. His family occupied the second floor until they purchased the home of Dr. Henry Fletcher across the street. Dr. Fletcher’s residence at the corner of Rocklin Road and San Francisco Street is now the site of the Rocklin History Museum. The city of Rocklin purchased the building from a successor owner in 1941. Old timers will recall that Rocklin’s Library occupied the first floor in the early 1940s and City Council meetings were held on the second floor until the new Civic Center building was constructed.