The history behind Rocklin's victorian houses
Rocklin History Tour
This is the 11th installment of a 19-part series in which Gary Day will take readers on a tour of Rocklin’s historic sites. You can find the sites yourself with a handy Rocklin History Tour booklet, available at the Rocklin History Museum, 3895 Rocklin Road. GPS coordinates were provided by Brian Ignaut. Short stories about Rocklin’s history are at www.rocklinhistory.org/history_series.asp.
These three homes are near the Wickman-Johnson white farmhouse at the corner of Rocklin Road and Fifth Street. They stand out in the neighborhood by their Victorian design. All are private residences.
Matt and Molly Moore built the Queen Anne-style house on the southeast corner during 1905, the year of their marriage. Matt was the Southern Pacific Railroad station agent; Molly was a schoolteacher and the pianist at St. Mary’s of the Assumption Catholic Church, now Old Saint Mary’s Chapel, on Front Street.
The house on the northwest corner was constructed in 1895. It was occupied by the family of former Argonaut and Tennessee farmer Butler Scribner and his wife, Lillian. Scribner owned a general merchandise store in a small frame building just south of the granite Barudoni building on Front Street. He moved his business to Roseville after Rocklin’s roundhouse closed in 1908, but his Roseville business failed in 1916. He finished his career as an insurance agent.
The Scribners had two sons, one of whom owned and operated Scribner Appliance Store on Pacific Street for about 40 years during the mid-20th century.
The Scribners bred and trained horses for racing at Rocklin’s Race track located on the site of today’s Racetrack subdivision near the Rocklin Grade School. A Scribner harness horse named Lady S was a frequent winner and the pride of the Scribner stable.