Juvenile drugs parents over Internet access

-A +A

Two juveniles were arrested on New Year’s Eve after one of them secretly put a friend’s prescription sleeping medication into her parents’ milkshakes Dec. 28, according to the Rocklin Police Department.

The unsuspecting parents consumed only about a quarter of their shakes, the report said, thinking that they tasted very odd. However, they consumed enough of the medicine for it to take affect within an hour and feel asleep. The parents did not awake until the following morning and did not remember what had occurred.

“They had this really hangover-type feeling headache,” explained Rocklin Police Lt. Lon Milka. “Each of them had a headache, each of them felt real groggy after they woke up.”

Milka added that the milkshakes had been purchased from a fast-food restaurant.

The parents went back to sleep and woke up again still feeling groggy, Milka said, and “put two and two together” and realized they had probably been drugged. They purchased an over-the-counter urinalysis kit from the Rocklin PD and said they got a positive reading, he said. The drug used was an anti-anxiety medication, he added, although he did not know whether the drug’s original intent is to aid in sleep or whether that was a side effect.

Police investigators concluded that one of the juveniles felt her parents had been “too strict” because her parents would not allow her to access any wireless Internet service within the home each night after 10 p.m. By drugging her parents using the prescription sleeping medicine into their milkshakes, the juveniles were then free to use the home Internet while her parents were passed out asleep, the report said.

Both female juveniles, one from Rocklin and the other from Roseville, were arrested on charges of willfully mingling a pharmaceutical into food and conspiracy. Milka said the 15-year-old girl, from Roseville, had brought the pills to the 16-year-old Rocklin girl’s house to mix into the milkshakes. They were booked into Placer County Juvenile Hall on Dec. 31. The suspects’ names are not being released because of their age.

In the 24 hours after the police report was released, Milka said, he’s been contacted by at least a dozen U.S. and international news outlets, including “Good Morning America” and “Anderson Cooper 360.”