LA man sentenced for making bomb threats in Rocklin, Auburn

By: Staff report
-A +A

Stephen J. Isoczky Jr., 60, of Los Angeles, was sentenced Wednesday by U.S. District Judge Kimberly J. Mueller to three years and five months in prison, to be followed by three years of supervised release, for making bomb threats and lying to federal agents, U.S. Attorney Benjamin B. Wagner announced.

Mueller also ordered Isoczky to pay $6,890 in restitution to the United States Postal Inspection Service for the resources spent in dealing with the bomb threats.

This case was the product of an investigation by the United States Postal Inspection Service, with the cooperation of the Modesto Police Department and the Tracy Police Department. Assistant United States Attorney Michelle Rodriguez prosecuted the case.

According to court documents, on Sept. 2, 2012, Isoczky contacted the national telephone network of the United States Postal Inspection Service claiming to be a concerned citizen alerting authorities of impending letter bombs. Isoczky claimed the bombs were going to be delivered shortly to a residence in Rocklin. On Nov. 1, 2012, he called USPIS again, claiming to be a concerned citizen alerting authorities of a pending letter bomb. Isoczky claimed this bomb was sent to a residence in Auburn.

The Postal Inspection Service and other law enforcement personnel spent more than 200 hours, X-raying and manually screening all mail going to the target zip codes and the specific addresses. According to court records, after Isoczky's second bomb threat, law enforcement traced his call to a pay telephone in Tracy, near a motel in which Isoczky was staying. When Isoczky was contacted, he repeatedly lied to law enforcement about his involvement, and he provided law enforcement false information about not knowing and never hearing of the intended victims.

At the time Isoczky made the false letter bomb threats, he was a federal fugitive. In 2005, Isoczky was convicted of federal counterfeiting offenses. After serving his sentence, he was released in June 2008, but since July 7, 2008, he failed to contact his assigned probation officer.