Memorial fund for Helms children
New as of 3:30 p.m. Monday
A trust fund has been set up to benefit the children of Edward and Marilyn Helms, officials at Jesuit High School said on Monday. Those wishing to make a contribution should make checks out to the following:
UBS Financial Services FBO the Helms Memorial Trust
The Helmses were killed Tuesday in their Roseville home, leaving behind a 16-year-old boy at Jesuit High School and an adult son attending college in the Bay Area.
“His life was those boys,” said UBS’s Sandy Steele, a friend of Ed Helms who helped set up the trust.
Checks should be mailed to UBS Financial Services, 3001 Douglas Blvd., Suite 160, Roseville CA 95661
Questions may be directed to Steele at 774-7440.
9:30 a.m. Monday
Over the weekend, Eric Firpo of the Tracy Press published a piece on victim Ed Helms, who grew up in Tracy. You can read it here.
Also newsworthy from the article: Services were "tentatively" scheduled for Wednesday. No word yet on where or if they would be private. If anyone knows, please let us know by emailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 916-774-7969.
NOON Friday, Sept. 18:
* Police this morning confirmed they had served three search warrants in connection to the Alnwick Drive killings. Roseville Police Spokeswoman Dee Dee Gunther said search warrants were executed at a former residence where Jason Lambert, the alleged killer, had been staying; a storage unit; and a Roseville hotel room that had been rented by Lambert.
* Meanwhile, Roseville Police Sgt. Darin Defreece said autopsies "were done and we're waiting on some test results back on (Lambert)."
* Police are wrapping up their investigation and expect to issue a report by the middle of next week.
9:30 a.m. Friday, Sept. 18:
* Police have reopened the street in front of the victims' house to traffic, though vehicles parked there remain sealed by coroner's orders. Police spokeswoman Dee Dee gunther confirmed the crime scene status ended at 5:30 p.m. Thursday. On Friday, several candles, boquets and balloons were underneath a memorial sign in front of the house.
* Police investigators attended autopsies yesterday for Jason Christopher Lambert, 35, Marilyn Elaine Helms, 49 and Edward Durkin Helms, 52.
* Police released the initial 911 call late Thursday. It's available here.
* We've also posted a story focusing on the victims, which is available here. We're still trying to learn more about wife Marilyn Helms and Ed Helms to tell their story; as well as the suspected killer, Jason Christopher Lambert. If you knew them, contact the reporter on this story at 916-774-7969 or email@example.com
Here's the latest on the Alnwick Drive murder-suicide case as of 2 p.m. Thursday.
* The suspect, 35-year-old Jason Christopher Lambert, is a 1992 graduate of Oakmont High School with a lengthy criminal record. His wife filed for divorce last year. A full story on his past is here.
* Autopsies are being conducted today. Traffic remained restricted around the crime scene at 11 a.m. this morning. Traffic was blocked at Alnwick and Junction Boulevard and Alnwick and Gateforth Drive.
Latest updates as of 7 a.m. Thursday
Police have identified the suspected shooter in Tuesday night's double-murder suicide as 35-year-old Jason Christopher Lambert of Roseville. Police have no released a motive in the shootings.
We're working on learning more about Lambert. If you knew him or have any information, call the reporter on this story at 774-7969 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Latest as of 5 p.m. Wednesday
Police have identified the victims of Tuesday’s double-murder suicide.
Edward Durkin Helms, 52, and Marilyn Elaine Helms, 49, were shot to death inside their home on the 1600 block of Alnwick Drive in Roseville, police said.
The suspect's name is being withheld, pending notification of family members, spokeswoman Dee Dee Gunther said.
They expected to release the deceased suspect's name "very soon."
Here are the latest details on the Alnwick Drive homicide case as of 12:10 p.m. Wednesday:
Police are now calling Tuesday’s homicide inside a Roseville home a murder suicide.
All three bodies were still in the Alnwick Drive house as investigators combed through the home for clues.
Investigators are wearing protective suits as they enter the home to safeguard evidence, said Det. Jerry Wernli.
It’s still unclear how the murdered parents’ 16-year-old son escaped the gunfire.
“He fled the house as soon as he saw things were getting weird,” Wernli said.
Cops also said today that a family dog that escaped during the SWAT team raid on Tuesday was found and is OK.
Here are the latest details on the Alnwick Drive homicide case as of 10:30 a.m. Wednesday:
* Officials have confirmed the two residents killed were the parents of the 16-year-old boy who initially called police.
* Authorities confirmed they believe the intruder was the shooter.
* Police say the female victim was 49 years old and the male victim was 52. The intruder was 35.
* All three people were found dead in an upstairs bedroom.
* Police believe the killer was known to the victims. However, the killer was not known to the 16-year-old boy. “Detectives are working to determine the relationship between the shooter and the victims, and the shooter's motive,” a spokeswoman said.
* An autopsy will be conducted Thursday.
* Investigation continues and streets in the area of the home remain blocked off as of 10:30 a.m.
* Identities of the victims and the shooter have not been released.
Story first posted 11:10 p.m. Tuesday
Story updated 2:30 a.m. Wednesday
Three people were found dead inside a west Roseville home in what police are calling a probable homicide.
Authorities confirmed after 1 a.m. Wednesday that two residents – a man and woman – and a male intruder – were dead inside the two-story home, on the 1600 block of Alnwick Drive just off Junction Boulevard. Their identities were not released.
“We think one of them is the intruder and the other two are residents,” Police Spokeswoman Dee Dee Gunther said.
The incident was reported shortly before 9 p.m. Tuesday when another resident – a juvenile male -- called police and said an intruder had been seen inside the house and two people were shot.
“Nothing indicates that it is random,” said Roseville Police Det. Jerry Wernli early Wednesday morning. “So far, the person who left the scene indicates there’s a chance (the intruder) is known to the people inside the house.”
Officials said the investigation was just beginning.
“We don’t know what the motivation is,” Gunther said.
Authorities did say that the intruder was not a resident of the home.
Police and SWAT team members swarmed the normally quiet neighborhood of tidy single-family homes all through the night Tuesday.
Officers didn’t enter the house until 1 a.m., after hours of a tense standoff. Unsure whether the suspected intruder was inside the house and what was the condition of the residents, officers attempted to communicate with the intruder through bullhorns but received no response.
Police later sent in a robot normally used to handle explosives before SWAT team members stormed the dwelling.
Early Wednesday morning, the house was crawling with investigators as they began their work of piecing together clues to the horrific crime. Police tape cordoned off the house and five cars parked in front of it.
Details surrounding the residents were extremely unclear. Police said three people lived in the home; several neighbors said the home was occupied by a married couple and two children.
The incident would mark Roseville’s first homicide since March 2007.
Check back later for more coverage of this breaking news story.
To report information on this crime, contact the reporter on this story at 774-7969 or email@example.com