comments

Now a lake, Copp's Quarry provided granite to San Francisco area

Rocks, Rails and Ranches
By: Gary Day, Special to the Placer Herald
-A +A
By Gary Day Special to the Placer Herald It’s a two-acre lake now, bordered on three sides by granite boulders and 40-foot sheer granite walls. In the mid-20th century it was a favored swimming hole, but the water is now murky and the walls are covered with graffiti. It’s Copp’s Quarry, dormant now on the east bank of Secret Ravine, but one of Rocklin’s most productive 19th-century granite quarries. Massachusetts native Ruben Copp opened the quarry in 1884 to provide granite for buildings in Stockton and San Francisco. After Copp won a seat on the Placer County Board of Supervisors in 1898, he sold his quarry to the Pacific Granite Company.  Copp’s Quarry was one of dozens of quarries serviced by a network of rail spurs south and east of the transcontinental railroad’s main line through Rocklin. Apparently one of these spurs abutted the quarry’s edge. In 1912, the spur caved under the weight of a train.   Pacific Granite probably closed Copp’s Quarry in 1915. A stonecutter’s strike that year resulted in the permanent closure of about half of Rocklin’s quarries. Ruben Copp died in 1916.   Copp’s Quarry is one of Rocklin’s most scenic quarries. To visit proceed about an eighth of a mile north on the paved footpath near the east end of Greenbrae Road.