Rocklin's museum: There’s history behind those walls
This is the fourth installment of a 19-part series where Gary Day will take readers on a tour of Rocklin’s historic sites. You can find the sites yourself with a handy Rocklin History Tour booklet, available at the Rocklin History Museum, 3895 Rocklin Road. GPS coordinates were provided by Brian Ignaut. Short stories about Rocklin’s history are at www.rocklinhistory.org/history_series.asp.
The Rocklin History Museum is at 3895 Rocklin Road, at the corner of San Francisco Street.
Dr. Henry Fletcher erected this building as his home and office in 1905, boom times for Rocklin’s railroad roundhouse operations and granite quarries.
Fletcher was Rocklin’s town doctor and treated both Marshal Sam Renaldi and saloon keeper Uledi Holmes after their gunfight at Blackwell’s Stable on Feb. 18, 1914. Renaldi and Holmes both died of their wounds shortly afterward.
Hawaiian immigrant Chung Moon operated a grocery store in the 1920s and ’30s across the street in the granite building that is now Rocklin’s City Hall. His family occupied the Fletcher building until the city of Rocklin purchased it for lease to the Rocklin Historical Society for use as a museum in 2000. The museum opened in 2002.
Fletcher’s waiting room is a granite quarry exhibit. His exam room is a gift shop. The parlor depicts scenes from Joel Parker Whitney’s Spring Valley Ranch. The basement shows a variety of both manual and power tools used in the early days of granite mining.
The museum is open from 1-4 p.m. Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays.