Thunder, Wildcats continue to roll in league action

By: Kurt Johnson Gold Country News Service
-A +A
Rocklin High’s varsity soccer team hasn’t played in a week, getting a bye in the schedule after taking down visiting Oakmont 5-0 on Sept. 24. The Thunder (12-3-1 overall 3-1 in the Sierra Foothill League) will host Del Oro at 3:30 p.m. Thursday. They will then play at Nevada Union at 3:30 p.m. next Tuesday. The SFL match at Rocklin on Sept. 24 was billed as a classic match-up between two of the league’s elite teams. With Oakmont returning most of a team that knocked off the Thunder in last year’s section semifinals, the first rematch between the two teams was expected to be a fierce battle. That was especially true considering that the two squads had played to scoreless draws in their other two meetings a year ago. But this contest was nothing like those, as Rocklin led 3-0 at the half and won the second half 2-0. “I think we are catching a few teams by surprise because we graduated eight starters last year, “ Rocklin coach Grant Depue said. “The word might be out by now that we are not rebuilding this year as one would assume.” This team has clearly come back even stronger than it was a year ago, and it took advantage of every single opportunity presented to it, and in this match, there were many. “We shouldn't lose like that,” Oakmont coach Mark Broers said. “Rocklin is a good team but we embarrassed ourselves today.” Chris Streeter, Cameron Powell, Seth Casiple, Noe Romero and Jonathan Sheets each scored for the Thunder. Whitney The Wildcats improved to 3-0-1 in the Pioneer Valley League with Monday’s 4-0 victory over visiting Placer. Whitney led 1-0 at the half before dominating the second half. The Wildcats (5-2-2 overall) defeated host Mesa Verde 5-0 on Sept. 23 in their previous match. Whitney led Mesa Verde 3-0 at the half and then won the second half 2-0. Whitney’s TJ Papenfuss scored three goals against Mesa Verde while teammates Michael Swift and Eirik Sterri had one goal each. Swift added four assists while Sterri had one assist.