Volunteers needed to help seniors, disabled with minor home modifications

-A +A


Placer Independent Resource Services needs skilled volunteers to assist seniors and individuals with disabilities by installing items in their homes that improve safety and access. For example, items may include offset door hinges, grab bars, threshold ramps, light switches or lever-style faucets and door handles.

Volunteers need to have basic construction or handyman experience. No work is done that requires going on a roof or under a building. People who have the skills to do these types of tasks are encouraged to donate their time to help seniors and individuals with disabilities in Placer County.

“After the work has been done, I call the people and follow up on how things are working for them,” said program coordinator Don Wixon. “The stories I hear are what make this program worthwhile. This will be one of the most fulfilling and rewarding experiences you have.”

To apply as a volunteer or obtain more information about the program, call Wixon or Leslie Brewer at PIRS, (530) 885-6100.

PIRS provides advocacy and independent living services for people with disabilities including peer support, information and referral, personal assistance registry and referral and resource coordination about assistive technology, housing and transportation. The PIRS Minor Home Modification Program is funded by Area 4 Agency on Aging and United Auburn Indian Community.